Well, the weather is finally getting nice and we all are eager to break out the grills and have some backyard barbecues. Don’t go for the old fatty and nasty burgers and dogs. This year let’s try something new, healthy and delicious. Get the gang together and try some of these healthy delicious recipes.
HAWAIIAN CHICKEN AND PINEAPPLE SKEWERS
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
¼ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
3 tsp Splenda
1 tsp Ketchup
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 ½ cup cubed fresh pineapple
2 large Bell peppers, cut into pieces
1 medium red onion, cut into pieces
Olive oil, for brushing
Freshly ground pepper
Lime wedges for serving
- Whisk together pineapple juice, aminos (in place of soy sauce), SPLENDA® Sweetener, ketchup, garlic, and ginger. Pour into a large resealable bag and add chicken. Let marinate in the refrigerator at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Thread chicken, pineapple, peppers, and onion onto skewers. (Discard bag with marinade.)
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Brush each skewer with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill skewers, turning occasionally until chicken is nicely charred and cooked through about 12 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
Steak Fajita Skewers
1 lb sirloin steak, cut into large cubes
1 bunch scallions, cut into thirds
1 pack small, gluten-free tortillas, torn into large pieces
4 large bell peppers, cut into large pieces
8 skewers soaked in water for 20 minutes
Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Skewer steak, scallions, tortillas (folded), and peppers. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, turning occasionally until steak is medium rare and vegetables are tender and slightly charred about 7 minutes.
WATERMELON STRAWBERRY CAPRESE SALAD
3 cups watermelon, cubed
2 cups strawberries, chopped
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
Freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup fresh Basil, torn
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, strawberries, feta and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Garnish with basil and serve.
½ half red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, finely chopped (seeded if you prefer less heat)
Juice of 2 limes
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Zest of 1 lime
Pinch of salt
Combine diced watermelon, cucumber, red onion, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, lime juice, and salt in a bowl. Let sit 10 to 20 minutes to let flavors meld. Serve with chips – or better yet – use as a topping on your grilled chicken or shrimp.
You can also make this with strawberries in place of the watermelon.
HAPPY SUMMER GRILLING!
June 14, 2017
Functional Endocrinology of Ohio
Akron: 2800 S. Arlington Road, Akron, Ohio 44312 (330) 644-5488
Cleveland: 6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Ste. 100, Independence, Ohio 44131 (216) 236-0060
Dr. Keith S. Ungar, Dr. Andrew Kender, Dr. David Hardy, Chiropractic Physicians
Receipes from Delish.com