Walk Your Way to Better Health
Begin each day with a little courage, a little curiosity, and a little spring in your step. – Doe Zantamata
Spring has sprung and it is the perfect time to go outdoors and get active. Just 15 minutes of walking a day will bring about many health benefits and will change your life! Walking is as natural as breathing. In fact, we use more than half of our muscles to walk. Walking is also one of the safest exercises. It takes no expensive or specialized equipment and requires no special training. Just a good pair of shoes and a little motivation.
10 Benefits of Walking:
- Boosts brain chemistry and will improve your mood
- Good for the heart. Lowers blood pressure and risk of a heart attack
- Relieves stress, anxiety, and depression
- Strengthens and tones arms, shoulders, abdominals, and legs.
- Promotes restful sleep
- Will give your skin a healthy glow.
- Improves balance
- Burns fat.
- Helps you to concentrate and clear your mind.
- Keeps the weight off in the right places such as the belly, hips, legs, and arms.
11 ways to help you receive the full benefits of walking:
- Make the commitment: commit to 15 minutes a day and gradually increase your minutes as your motivation picks up.
- Drink plenty of water: add a lemon or lime for the extra zest.
- Invest in a good pair of walking shoes.
- Begin and end with a good stretch.
- Ask a friend. What a great way to catch up and bond.
- Invest in a fit band to keep track and motivate you along the way
- Set aside a motivation jar: Place a dollar in the jar each time you reach your goal and then treat yourself at the end of the month for keeping your commitment.
- Put a bounce in your step with some good tunes: make a playlist with all of your favorite, motivational tunes.
- Maintain a healthy diet.
- Be aware of your posture: Head up, back straight, swing arms, abdomen flat and toes forward. Eyes focused 10 feet ahead.
- Change your scenery.
- Walk on your lunch break, walk instead of driving short distances. Park at the furthest parking spot from your destination. Walking is easy to fit into a busy schedule! Be sure to start at a pace that you are comfortable with. Gradually increase your walks to promote long-term health and weight loss goals. You don’t have to go fast…..Just go!
Patient Care Coordinator
April 18, 2018
Functional Endocrinology of Ohio
Akron: 2800 S. Arlington Road, Akron, Ohio 44312 (330) 644-5488
Cleveland: 6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Ste. 100, Independence, Ohio 44131 (216) 236-0060
Dr. Keith S. Ungar, Chiropractic Physician