7 Healthy Game Day Recipes
I hope you are all having success with reaching your 2018 health goals so far! For some, Super Bowl Sunday may be your first test of willpower. Whether you are hosting the party or joining the party, you can still enjoy some game day deliciousness without the carb or gluten hangover. Meal prep is key! Planning ahead will make all the difference. Eating healthier is about making healthier choices and building sustainable eating habits one step at a time.
Below are 6 of the recipes on my Game Day Menu:
Avocado & lime with gluten-free chips
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 1 ½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Split avocados, remove and discard pit, and scoop meat into a medium bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and using a fork or a potato masher, mash until ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with Gluten Free tortilla chips or for the lowest of carbs, serve with celery and carrots.
Paleo Mini Pepper Nachos
- 2 small packages mini peppers organic if possible or one large package
- 1 pound ground turkey or lean grass-fed beef
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 1/2- 1 cup organic salsa
- pinch salt
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4-1/3 cup shredded cheese optional
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Slice the peppers lengthwise, then remove the stem and seeds. Place on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper for easy clean up (spray with coconut oil to make sure they don’t stick – not required but recommended).
- Place peppers in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Spray the skillet with coconut oil (or add 1/2 tbs. coconut oil and allow to melt). Add ground turkey and allow to cook through, breaking up the turkey into small pieces.
- Cook about 7 minutes, until no longer pink in any place.
- Add the garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, organic salsa and pinch of salt. Allow to cool slightly while waiting for peppers to finish.
- Stuff the peppers with a small spoon once they come out of the oven. Top with grated cheese (optional) or just sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro.
- If you add the cheese, turn on the oven’s broiler. Place the nachos under the broiler for 2 minutes (use foil to line the baking sheet with if you are going to use the broiler).
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Poppers
- 1 head Cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup Water
- 3/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Buffalo sauce
- 1 tbs Honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Prepare the batter for the cauliflower by combining the water, almond flour, and seasonings in a medium bowl. Combine.
- Dip the cauliflower in the batter shaking off the excess batter before placing the cauliflower on the baking sheet. Lay the cauliflower in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is baking, combine the hot sauce and honey in a medium bowl. When the cauliflower is ready, remove it from the baking pan and toss it in the hot sauce mixture.
- Serve with dip/dressing of choice.
Tuscan Vegetable Soup
- 1 (15.5-oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about ½ cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried)
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh sage( or ½ tsp. dried)
- ½ tsp. salt, plus more for taste
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups lightly packed chopped spinach
- ⅓ freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, zucchini, garlic, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender. Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and the spinach leaves. Wilt the spinach. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Fajita Salad
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 teaspoon red chili flakes, (or red pepper flakes — adjust to your preference of spice)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thigh fillets, skin removed (no bone)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 an onion, sliced
- 5 cups Romaine, (or cos) lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Extra cilantro leaves to garnish
- Sour cream, (optional) to serve
- Whisk marinade ingredients together to combine. Pour half the marinade into a shallow dish to marinade the chicken fillets for two hours if time allows. Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to use as a dressing.
- Heat about one teaspoon of oil in a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Grill in batches to prevent excess water being released.) Set cooked chicken aside and allow to rest.
- Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and fry pepper and onion strips until cooked to your liking.
- Slice chicken into strips and prepare the salad with leaves, avocado slices, peppers, onion strips and chicken.
Keto New York Cheesecake
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/4 (40g) cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp erythritol
- 1/8 tsp stevia powder
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup cream cheese room temperature
- 90 g/ml sour cream
- 3 tbsp erythritol
- 1/2 tsp stevia powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs room temperature
Optional Decorating ingredients
- dark chocolate chips melted
- almonds chopped
- cashew nuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 150C/300F. Wrap the bottom of a 6” springform pan with aluminum foil.
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the crust together until it resembles a buttery crumble. Place in your springform pan and press unto the bottom with a spoon. Even it out with the back of the spoon.
- In a large bowl, place the cream cheese, sour cream, erythritol, stevia powder and vanilla, and beat with a hand mixer until the mixture is completely smooth and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated. Do not overmix!! Add the baking powder, and mix for a few seconds.
- Pour the cheesecake batter into the springform pan over the crust. Tap a couple of times on the counter to get rid of any air bubbles (if there were any).
- Prepare a tall oven-proof tray and add 2-3 (1″) of water. Carefully place your aluminum-wrapped cheesecake into the water and place into the oven. Bake for 60 minutes.
- Open the oven door and let the cheesecake cool completely inside the oven for 1-2 hours until completely cooled (Your cheesecake should still be jiggly in the middle). Cover with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge overnight.
- You can decorate it as you wish or eat it plain once it’s completely cooled and set the next day
- These steps should make sure that your cheesecake does not crack when baking or cooling down.
Chocolate Dipped Candied Bacon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar substitute (20 g/ 0.7 oz) – Sukrin Goldbut you can use another sweetener such as Erythritol
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 16 thin bacon slices (240 g/ 8.5 oz)
- 3 oz 85% dark chocolate(85 g)
- ½ oz cacao butter or 1 tbsp coconut oil (14 g)
- 1 tsp sugar-free maple extract
- sweetener such as Erythritol
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Mix the brown sugar substitute or Sukrin Gold and cinnamon.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Lay the bacon strips next to each other. Sprinkle with half of the sweetener & cinnamon mix. If you cannot fit the bacon into one tray, use two. Flip the bacon strips on the other side and sprinkle with the remaining mix. Place in the oven preheated to 275 F and bake for 60-75 minutes or until crisp and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate and cocoa butter.
- Once melted, add the maple extract. Set aside to cool down to room temperature
- Remove the candied bacon from the oven and let it cool down completely before dipping in the chocolate. Dip half of each candied bacon strip in the chocolate or use a spoon to do it. Place on a tray lined with parchment paper and let the chocolate solidify at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Enjoy! only 1.1 grams of carbs per slice!
We all struggle at times to live a healthier lifestyle. Having a plan and setting realistic goals can help you make your health goals while still enjoying the festivities. I urge all of you to stay on course because nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!
Have you made a game day menu to avoid the hangover and stay the course? Do you have any good recipes you would like to share?
Patient Care Coordinator
January 31, 2018
Functional Endocrinology of Ohio
Akron: 2800 S. Arlington Road, Akron, Ohio 44312 (330) 644-5488
Cleveland: 6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Ste. 100, Independence, Ohio 44131 (216) 236-0060
Dr. Keith S. Ungar and Dr. David Hardy, Chiropractic Physicians
Keenan, Timothy. “Chuck’s Super Bowl 2018 Party.” Chuck’s Darien, 6 Jan. 2018, chuckscafedarien.com/chucks-super-bowl-2018-party/.
says, Joanne, et al. “Babalu Guacamole.” The Cooking Bride, 16 Dec. 2017, cookingbride.com/appetizers/babalu-guacamole/.
Sam. “Paleo Mini Pepper Nachos.” Bites of Wellness, 31 Oct. 2017, www.bitesofwellness.com/paleo-mini-pepper-nachos/.
“Crispy Buffalo Cauliflower Poppers.” Dashing Dish, www.dashingdish.com/recipe/crispy-buffalo-cauliflower.
Jen, et al. “Tuscan Vegetable Soup.” Yummy Healthy Easy, 19 Oct. 2017, www.yummyhealthyeasy.com/healthy-tuscan-vegetable-soup-easy/.
Karina. “Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Fajita Salad (+ VIDEO).” Cafe Delites, 3 Jan. 2018, www.cafedelites.com/grilled-chilli-lime-chicken-fajita-salad/.
Laura one month ago #. “Chocolate Dipped Candied Bacon | The KetoDiet Blog.” KetoDiet, 30 Sept. 2017, www.ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2016/02/08/chocolate-dipped-candied-bacon
Mira, et al. “Keto New York Cheesecake.” My PCOS Kitchen, 2 Sept. 2017, www.mypcoskitchen.com/keto-new-york-cheesecake-3/.