I can hardly wait! “The Ohio State Buckeyes“ kick off their season on August 31st. It’s bad I know, but I’ve been doing a count down since it was 100 days out. I’ve made the decision to eat healthily and offer healthy snack options during football season. I’ve been collecting recipes, and here are some of my favorites.
Nutritional profile: Dairy Free, Egg Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Diabetic Appropriate, Gluten-Free, Heart Healthy, High Fiber
- 1 (15 ounces) Can no-salt-added chickpeas
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup tahini
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
Drain chickpeas, reserving 2 tablespoons of the liquid. Transfer the chickpeas and the reserved liquid to a food processor. Add avocado, cilantro, tahini, oil, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, and salt. Puree until very smooth. Serve with veggie chips, veggie, gluten-free crackers
Slow-Cooker Braised Pork with Salsa
Nutritional profile: Gluten-Free, Healthy Aging, Healthy Immunity, Low Added Sugars, Low-Calorie, Low Carbohydrate, Low Sodium,
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, or butt
- 1 ½ cups prepared tomatillo salsa
- 1 ¾ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, or ground cumin
- 3 plum tomatoes, (1/2 pound), thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Trim and discard pork surface fat. Cut meat apart following layers of fat around muscles; trim and discard fat. Cut into 2-inch chunks and rinse with cold water. Place in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Turn heat to high.
- Combine salsa, broth, onion and cumin seeds in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour over the meat. Add tomatoes and mix gently. Put the lid on and cook until the meat is pull-apart tender, 6 to 7 hours.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a large bowl; cover and keep warm. Pour the sauce and vegetables into a large skillet; skim fat. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil, skimming froth from time to time, for about 20 minutes, to intensify flavors and thicken slightly. Add the pork and ¼ cup cilantro; heat through.
- To serve, ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling of the remaining ¼ cup cilantro.
Sriracha-Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Nutritional profile: Gluten-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Nut-Free, Low Added Sugars, Low-Calorie, Low Added Sugar, High Fiber, Low Carbohydrate
- 8 cups 1 ½-inch cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Frank’s RedHot
- 1-2 tablespoons Sriracha Sauce
- 1 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss cauliflower, oil, and salt in a large bowl. Spread on the prepared baking sheet; reserve the bowl. Roast the cauliflower until it’s starting to soften and brown on the bottom, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine hot sauce, sriracha to taste, butter and lemon juice in the large bowl. Add the roasted cauliflower and toss to coat. Return the cauliflower to the baking sheet and continue roasting until hot, about 5 minutes more.
Slow Cooker Honey-Orange Chicken Drumsticks
Nutritional profile: Gluten-Free, Healthy Aging, Healthy Immunity, Low-Calorie, Low Added Sugar, High Fiber, Low Carbohydrate
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons Orange Juice (Pulp Free)
- 3 tablespoons Tamari
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 12 medium chicken drumsticks (3-31/2 lbs) skinned * see tip
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Combine honey, orange zest, orange juice, tamari, garlic, ginger, vinegar and crushed red pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat a 5 to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Add drumsticks, pour in the sauce and mix to coat. Cover and cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest part of the meat without touching bone, 2 to 3 hours on High or 4 hours on Low.
- Transfer the drumsticks to a bowl. Very carefully pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a medium skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil until reduced and syrupy, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour the sauce over the drumsticks and stir to coat. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and sesame seeds.
- Tip: To remove the skin from chicken drumsticks, grip the skin from the meaty end of the drumstick with a paper towel and pull down toward the exposed bone until it comes off completely.
Nutritional profile: Gluten-Free, Low-Fat, Low-Calorie
- ½ cup fresh or frozen raspberries, for garnish
- 2 cups cranberry-raspberry juice
- 2 cups seltzer
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus 4 wedges for garnish
- 6 ounces ( ¾ cup) vodka
- If using fresh raspberries, freeze them in a single layer for about 1 hour (or overnight) before proceeding with Step 2.
- Combine cranberry-raspberry juice, seltzer, lime juice and vodka in a pitcher. Divide among 4 ice-filled glasses. Garnish with frozen raspberries and lime wedges.
Nutritional profile: Gluten-Free, Low added sugars, Low-Calorie, High Fiber, Vegan, Vegetarian
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 450°F.
- Blot chickpeas dry and toss in a bowl with oil, cumin, marjoram, allspice, and salt. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, stirring once or twice until browned and crunchy, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Here are some websites that you can find plenty of healthy snacks for the games.
August 23, 2017
Functional Endocrinology of Ohio
Akron: 2800 S. Arlington Road, Akron, Ohio 44312 (330) 644-5488
Cleveland: 6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Ste. 100, Independence, Ohio 44131 (216) 236-0060
Dr. Keith S. Ungar, Dr. Andrew Kender, Dr. David Hardy, Dr. Joseph Little, Chiropractic Physicians