All Natural Home Remedies to Keep Those Pesky Bugs Out.
The Smithsonian Institution estimates that at any time, there are some 10 quintillion individual insects alive. In the United States alone there is approximately 91,000 species. If you’re like me, I bug out! I have embarrassed myself countless times after being caught off guard by a creepy crawly. I have even, almost caused a traffic accident, when discovering a bumble-bee in the car!
Living next to a Bog State Nature Preserve I am privy to 1,000’s of species. This spring they are coming out in full force, bigger and peskier than ever! No, thank you! However, I refuse to resort to using toxic chemical sprays and lotions. Enter in Essential Oils to save the day! With some DIY methods and preventative procedures, you can keep them out of your house without using any harsh chemicals.
- Use 1 part vinegar to 1 part water, wipe down all countertops and kitchen surfaces daily to remove odors and food particles.
- Use a trash can with a lid and be sure to rinse out all of your recyclables.
- Use sealed jars or containers to store your dry foods.
- Make sure to keep your kitchen drain free from leftovers. Use ½ cup of baking soda then ½ cup of vinegar down the drain. Let stand for 20 minutes and flush with hot water.
- Always rinse your dishes.
- Dust and shop vacuum all corners and crevices weekly.
- Don’t allow sugary food or drinks to leave your kitchen.
- Fix all leaky faucets. They attract insects due to needing water to survive.
- Place lavender or basal near any entrances to your home.
- Make sure to inspect and/or repair all screens before opening your windows to let the fresh spring air in.
My Favorite Household Spray and Bug Repellant Lotion:
DIY Household Spray – Combine 1 drop of peppermint oil to every 1 ounce of vinegar and shake. (Do not use apple cider vinegar or you may have a whole new problem with fruit flies) Spray the perimeter of your house, the garage, doors and window frames. Then wipe down all baseboards, door and window frames on the inside. Be sure to wipe all cracks and crevices as well.
DIY Bug Repellent Lotion – Add 1/3 cup coconut oil and 1/3 cup shea butter in a bowl and mix together. Add 2-3 drops of lemongrass essential oil and 4-5 drops of Eucalyptus Citriodora. Store in a mason jar to last all season.
Need an Essential Oil Consultant? Message me for details @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wishing you all a spectacular spring free of creepy crawlers!
April 19, 2017
Functional Endocrinology of Ohio
Akron: 2800 S. Arlington Road, Akron, Ohio 44312 (330) 644-5488
Cleveland: 6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Ste. 100, Independence, Ohio 44131 (216) 236-0060
Dr. Keith S. Ungar, Dr. Andrew Kender, Chiropractic Physicians
To schedule an appointment, click here.
MailOnline, Marcus Berkmann for. “Look Out! There May Be Bugs in Your Drawers.” Daily Mail Online. Associated Newspapers, 13 Jan. 2012. Web. 12 Apr. 2017.
Encyclopedia Smithsonian: Numbers of Insects. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Apr. 2017.
Jennie, Luke Yancey Says, and Jennie Says. “DIY Bug Repellent Lotion (All Natural).” The Diary of a Real Housewife. N.p., 07 Oct. 2016. Web. 18 Apr. 2017.