Feel Like a Kid Again
Shared joy is double joy – Swedish proverb
“When you choose joy, it makes you feel good, and when you feel good, you do good, when you do good it reminds others of what joy feels like and it just might inspire them to do the same!”
Have you lost your joy or just need a little more of it? Often, we just need to be reminded to find joy in our journey. The root of joy is gratefulness. Having gratitude makes us joyful, and there is always something to be grateful for in our lives! Joy is a decision, a brave one, about how you are going to respond to life. Especially when we get caught up in the routine of it all. Life can be stressful, monotonous, or downright painful. Do not let the world make you hard or rob you of your joy! If you find yourself missing the joy in ordinary moments, it’s time to slow down and remember to invest in the spare moments of your life. Invest in the people in your life. Don’t’ just endure your life, enjoy your life!
I remember how simple and carefree life was when I was eight years old. I remember when there was a thunderstorm outside, my mom would make breakfast for dinner. All my worries went out the door when there was French toast for dinner! I remember when I was ten years old, my sister and I would make blanket forts and hide away from the world if just for a bit. My brother and I would go on great adventures in our backyard and compete to see who could build the biggest house of cards before it all came crashing down. My best friend and I would put on our swimsuits and play in the puddles. I want to feel that carefree again. If just for a bit.
What brings me joy is connecting with the people in my life. I find joy most of all when sharing it with others. I find joy in those moments when all of my stress is replaced by only living in the present and having gratitude for being there. I want to laugh until my side hurts, I want to be silly and carefree. I want to find joy in the ordinary! I want to enjoy the brief unscheduled moments of my life. I want to teach my kids to be grateful for what they have. I want to create lasting memories with my husband and children. I want to create joyful memories for my children to pass on to their children. I want to have stories to tell my grandchildren. I have a great life, and I want to celebrate it. I want to reconnect with my inner child and let go of the stresses around me if only for a bit. I want to bring back some of those carefree feelings! Below are 25 ideas to bring back some of those joyful, carefree feelings:
25 Ideas to Bring Back Those Joyful Feelings
- Build a blanket fort with someone you love.
- Make breakfast for dinner and use extra syrup.
- Fill the back of your pickup truck with blankets and pillows and have a stargazing date.
- Go on a bike ride as if the first time without training wheels
- Catch a mason jar full of fireflies and use as a night-light. (Make sure to poke holes in the top.)
- Go on a picnic with those you love and pack all of their favorite foods.
- Run after the ice cream truck, buy your favorite flavor and skip all the way home.
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Finish an entire coloring book
- Play name that tune.
- Put on your swimsuit and dance in the rain.
- Enjoy a movie marathon in your Pj’s with someone you love.
- Make homemade popsicles.
- Run through the sprinkler and drink from the hose.
- Build a house of cards and blow it all down.
- Rest in a hammock with a great book.
- Shoot some hoops.
- Climb a tree and stay for a while
- Have a pillow fight.
- Lay in the grass and find figures in the clouds.
- Have a snowball fight and lie in the snow and make snow angels
- Play a game of Monopoly all the way to the end.
- Build a cozy fire and sip on hot chocolate.
- Pick flowers from the yard and brighten up a room in your house.
- Play the drums with wooden spoons and pots and pans.
So ask yourself…”What brings you joy?”Never forget your inner child. Take time and be carefree again; eat ice cream while watching a cartoon, jump on the trampoline with your kids. Stay up past your bedtime and read a story by flashlight. It’s never too late to connect with your inner child. Life is short. Always count your blessings! Be grateful. Be thankful. Choose to have joy and don’t forget to share your joy, it’s catchy!
Whatever brings you joy, do more of it! What brings you joy?
September 4, 2016
Functional Endocrinology of Ohio
Akron: 2800 S. Arlington Road, Akron, Ohio 44312 (330) 644-5488
Cleveland: 6200 Rockside Woods Blvd., Ste. 100, Independence, Ohio 44131 (216) 236-0060
Dr. Keith S. Ungar, Dr. Andrew Kender, Dr. Robert Nichols, Dr. Jessica Eckman, Chiropractic Physicians
“10 Reasons Why Your Brother Is The Most Important Guy In Your Life.”Odyssey. N.p., 30 June 2015. Web. 21 July 2016.
#”12 in 13.” ‘Homegrown Hospitality’ N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Aug. 20